“I like the attitude of the people and the fact that I could help at my age”- Lyn Gurr
Lyn Gurr is currently a volunteer at the Sundowners Day Respite for over 65’s. The criteria for being a Nambour & District Care (NDC) Day Respite Centre volunteer involves the following;
Someone who enjoys chatting to people
Someone who has fun with elderly people in a variety of games to engage their thinking and conversation skills
Someone who enjoys having sing-a-longs; and
Someone who is able to help assist kitchen staff to serve morning tea
We asked Lyn a few questions about her experience volunteering at the Sundowners Day Respite for over 65’s. Here is what she had to say;
1. How did you hear about NDC volunteer opportunities
“Through a flyer”
2. What influenced your decision to sign up?
“I like the attitude of the people and the fact that I could help at my age. I've done this work before”
3. How long have you been volunteering with NDC?
“I have been volunteering for just over a year”
4. What type of volunteer opportunities at NDC have you been a part of?
“The sundowner’s day respite. Help with the activities for the day chatting to the clients and helping with the food distribution”
5. What has surprised you about becoming a volunteer with NDC?
“The friendliness of the people and you are always appreciated for the work that you do”
6. Can you name any highlights you had during your time as a volunteer with NDC?
“The training that I've had and the High tea afternoon we had for volunteer week. Getting to know the client's and the interesting lives they had and helping the staff as well!”
7. Would you recommend volunteering with NDC to others and why?
“Yes I would recommend. Everyone is helpful and generous with their time and quite interesting to hear all the different stories”
If this volunteer role is for you, then we would love to hear from you! Please ring Michele Crocker, NDC Volunteer Coordinator on 54414441 or simply complete the online volunteer expression of interest form.